Ventilation is important for every home. One way to enhance ventilation in your home–and by extension improve your indoor air quality–is to invest in high-quality, energy-efficient windows.
In this article, Renewal by Andersen® of Austin lists six tips that can help you harness natural ventilation in your home.
1. Open Your Windows – Some homeowners avoid opening their windows due to noise, pollution and safety concerns. However, fresh air from outside will actually improve the air quality within your home, which is why experts recommend opening your windows every day.
2. Window Height – Look for windows that are at least 3.6 feet high. This will help improve indoor air movement around your home and reduce the heat load on your ceiling.
3. Window Orientation – To harness natural home ventilation, experts recommend that you install windows on the north and south sides of your home for optimal cross-ventilation. By doing so, you can encourage a natural breeze.
4. Transitional Spaces – If you’re constructing your home from the ground up, consider incorporating transitional spaces such as courts, balconies or atriums in your home’s architecture to encourage better air flow.
5. Ground Coverings – Cover your pavement and surrounding outdoor areas with grass or low heat absorbing materials. That way, the heat retained by the ground will be very minimal, helping direct cool air into your home.
6. Wicker or Bamboo Furnishings – Consider investing in wicker or bamboo furnishings, as these materials help encourage good air flow due to their airy construction.
Need someone to install custom windows in your home? Don’t hesitate to turn to Renewal by Andersen of Austin. Give us a call at (512) 298-2270 or fill out our contact form to schedule a FREE consultation. We serve homeowners in Georgetown, TX, and other nearby areas.