Some homeowners hesitate to have their wood windows replaced because of sentimental value, or simply because they don’t have the means to dispose of their old windows. While Renewal by Andersen® of Austin offers disposal as part of our windows replacement service, you can also choose to recycle your old windows. The following are some examples:
- Giant Picture Frame — Large wood windows are perfect for framing large photos. Most printing services offer high quality prints, which let you blow up an existing image to a custom size. For windows with grilles, you can mount multiple photos on one large window sash.
- Wall Planner or Calendar — If you have window sashes that form a grid that’s eight panes wide by four or five panes tall–perfect for a wall planner or calendar. Seven panels wide is better, though odd-numbered panes are rare, even for custom windows. If the glass panes are still intact, mount the wood window behind a black or dark-colored matte panel, then use silver or white dry-erase pens for writing on the glass. Use the eighth column for notes and reminders.
- Hallway Rack — Mount a sash on the hallway and install hooks on the grilles and frame. This creates a rustic rack for hats and coats. Like the wall planner idea, you can use the glass for writing down reminders. Guests can write their names on the glass to help identify which coats and hats are theirs.
- Mini Greenhouse — Several wood windows of the same size can form a mini greenhouse, perfect for growing small tropical plants. Old window hinges can even be used to create a box-like “roof” for easy access.
- Small Cabinet — It’s fairly easy to build a shallow cabinet that fits the size of a wood window sash. This can be mounted as a corner display cabinet, a medicine cabinet, or a bathroom cabinet. Have it painted to match its new surroundings.
Renewal by Andersen of Austin is your leading provider of popular replacement window styles, including casement windows. Give us a call at (866) 842-3370 or fill out our contact form. We serve customers in Austin, TX, and surrounding areas.